Local people from Hawaii love oxtail soup, a hearty meal served at most restaurants. Oxtail soup is made with beef tails. Oxtail is the culinary name for the tail of a beef animal. Local style oxtail soup derived from a Chinese dish. Oxtail soups & stews can be found in many countries around the world and prepared in a wide variation of styles and tastes.
Oxtail Soup Recipe
Serving: approx 6-8 servings
- 3 – 5 lbs oxtails (chopped)
- 1 large brown onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (smashed or finely chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (chopped)
- 1 slice ginger (2 – 3 inch)
- 1/ stalk green onion (chopped)
- minced Chinese parsley
- 1- can tomato soup
- salt/pepper (to taste)
- Chop onion and saute along with garlic in hot oil until golden brown. Add oxtail pieces and brown until desired color/texture reached.
- Once browned add oxtail, onion, & ginger to large pot, simmer in water and tomato soup. Add carrots & celery. Cook until desired tenderness.
- If desired, season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Garnish with chopped green onion & parsley.
Top photo credit: Jason D
Kana’iolowalu Oxtail Recipe
See more Kanaiolowalu Infographics