Las Vegas was awarded a NHL franchise only a few months ago and with the completion of the state-of-the-art T-Mobile Arena the stage is set. Team majority owner Bill Foley kept Las Vegas hockey fans in suspense for several months on the name, logo and colors of the 31st NHL franchise to join the league. On Tuesday night, November 22, 2016 Foley made the announcement outside of the T-Mobile Arena at Toshiba Plaza… VEGAS GOLDEN KNIGHTS.
According to the team’s website, their colors were chosen to reflect the community and the focus of the team.
As reported by the team’s website:
- Steel grey represents strength and durability
- Nevada is the largest producer of gold in the United States, it is a highly-valued precious metal and is a color seen in the Las Vegas terrain
- Red is from the Vegas skyline, the desert and the beauty of the Red Rock canyons; red is also a color associated with the readiness to serve
- Black represents power and intensity
Vegas Golden Knights: Five Facts
1. The Team Will Play at the T-Mobile Arena
2. It Is the First Major Professional League to Have a Vegas Team
3. Their Colors are Steel Grey, Gold, Red & Black
4. The Team Will Take One Player From Each Current Team in the Expansion Draft
5. Jerseys Will Go on Sale in Mid-February